Have I mentioned that we’re in the midst of winter here in Wellington? I think I have. This weekend was no exception.
Sarah has been busy on the weekends with her involvement with Ballet is for Everyone where her group is providing ballet lessons for kids who may not have the means for formal ballet training. The kids have great fun even if they’re just running around in ballet slippers and tutus.
Anyway, I tasked her with picking up stuff for dinner on the way home, lamb would be good.
She googled lamb kebabs and the first result was a Jamie Oliver recipe, she grabbed capsicums, red onions and a nice piece of New Zealand lamb rump.
She had ideas of stuffing the grilled lamb in pita pockets along with some mescaline salad, I kind of ruined that by toasting the pitas a tad too much, but they ended up making a great crunchy addition to the salad.
Back to that weather that I mentioned, it was blowing a gale and raining off and on and I’m not sure that I should have really been outside firing up the BBQ. I managed not to lose it in a gust of wind and luckily only needed a short time to get the lamb to a beautiful state, charred on the outside and pink on the inside.
Quite pleased with how they turned out.
To serve, Sarah mixed up the salad greens with some balsamic vinegar and the charred meat and veges went on top with some tzatziki on the side. The pitas were quartered and went great for scooping everything up.
I really do hope the weather starts clearing up, I don’t mind the cold too much, but the wind and rain really kills the enjoyment of cooking outside.
Do you brave the weather and cook outside? Or do you prefer to cozy up inside next to the warm oven? Let me know in the comments below!
Grilled Spiced Lamb Kebabs
Grilled spiced lamb kebab skewers. Fresh, hot and tasty. Inspired by Jamie Oliver.
- 300-400g lamb rump
- 1 yellow capsicum
- 1 red capsicum
- 1 red onion
- !Spiced Marinade
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 whole cloves
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- salt & pepper
- Olive oil
- 2 cups mescalin salad
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup tzatziki sauce
- 2 pita breads
- Trim lamb and cut into 2 cm cubes.
- Combine spices with mortar and pestle and then together with olive oil in a bowl, should come out as a paste. Coat lamb and refrigerate until use.
- !Grill Time
- Prepare grill for direct high heat
- While grill is heating up, prepare the vegetables by cutting into cubes, similar size to the lamb.
- Skewer ingredients, lamb capsicum, onion, capsicum, lamb and so on.
- Grill over direct heat, 2-3 minutes per side, rotating four times. The meat should be charred yet still tender. Remove from heat and rest for five minutes. Grill pita breads 2-3 minutes per side until toasted.
- !To Serve
- Remove meat and vegetables from skewers and serve with salad, sauce and pita bread. Enjoy