I’ve been quite lucky these last couple of weeks with friends dropping round with nice cuts of meat asking for the smoker treatment.
I’m always down for this and will never turn away a friend in need.
My brother is back in the country visiting before heading back to London next weekend so we had a visit from Glen who was quite excited to finally get some BBQ Like It’s Hot ribs.
Glen had seen my last attempt at ribs and informed me that he would prefer sauced ribs.
No problem, this was the perfect opportunity to follow along Meathead’s Last Meal Ribs.
Now, I’m not sure whether these are considered true Last Meal Ribs as I did not use his Memphis dust rub or one of his BBQ sauce recipes, maybe next time.
Damn I love all these great local products that are so prevalent now.
I did follow his method though, they turned out great. The Smoky Joe Mini managed to hold the temperature at 110ºC / 250ºF over 6 hours and I could not have been happier.
Neither could Glen, look at how pleased he is.
Here’s how I did them, cheers to amazingribs.com for the inspiration
Last Meal Ribs
BBQ Like It's Hot's take on Meathead's Last Meal Ribs
- 2 racks of spare ribs
- 1 cup BBQ spice rub
- 1 cup BBQ sauce
- Oil spray (olive or rice bran oil)
- 1 Cup apple juice
- !Rib Preparation
- Remove membrane from underside of the ribs, remove any tips etc and cut to size to fit in smoker
- Lightly spray both sides of ribs with oil and coat with spice rub.
- Refrigerate over night if possible or at least an hour at room temperature before smoking
- !Smoke Time
- Prepare the smoker or grill for low indirect heat (110ºC / 250ºF)
- Add wood chunks before adding ribs to smoker either direct on the grill or in rib racks and smoke for 4 hours spritzing with water every hour.
- After 4 hours, remove ribs from smoker and place in tin foil with a little bit of the apple juice. Wrap loosely and smoke for a further hour.
- Finally, remove ribs from foil coat the top side with BBQ sauce and put back into the smoker and smoker for another 30-40 minutes until the sauce has caramelised.
- Remove from smoker, slice and serve - goes great with fries and coleslaw!