Wow, it’s not often that you see a salad up here! This red cabbage potato salad was prepared during the final hours of the brisket smoke the other weekend and I thought that it would be a good one to share with you all.
This potato salad is great served warm and equally good served cold, don’t stress.
I used the stove to boil the potatoes but took the skillet outside onto the smaller kettle to prove a point.
I just really love cooking outdoors and when I have the time and it’s still light outside I take advantage of that. Don’t get me wrong, we have a kick ass gas stove in the kitchen which is super great for convenience, but yeah, cooking outside over fire. You get it.
This salad sure beats plane vegetables, made a big difference for us for once. Give it a go and let me know in the comments how you liked it.
- 1 kg white washed potatoes, cubed
- ¼ cup cooking oil, rice bran etc
- 1 tablespoon ginger, chopped
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 1 green capsicum, diced
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds, toasted
- ½ red cabbage, thinly sliced
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper
- Prepare grill for low-medium direct heat. Preheat a cast iron pan while cooking the potatoes. Save some briquettes for later to bring grill to a medium direct heat.
- Bring a pot of cold salted water with potatoes to the boil. Once boiling reduce heat and boil for 10 minutes until potatoes are soft but not falling apart, remove from heat, drain and leave to dry.
- Heat cooking oil in cast iron pan. Add the ginger, onion and capsicum and sweat for 30 minutes.
- Add cumin, cabbage and potatoes, add additional briquettes to crank the heat and stir for 5 minutes, the cabbage should wilter but retain crunch and the potatoes should crisp up a little.
- Remove from grill and mix in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately or refrigerate for later.