I really wanted this recipe to feature pork tenderloins but the butcher just did not have any for me when I visited. I walked out with 800g of leg pork steaks, not too bad I can make this work.
The plan was to follow this fantastic recipe I saw in my Twitter timeline recently – but it was not to be. I made the marinade for the pork steaks anyway.
If you’ve been following this blog for a while you may be aware that I’ve never really posted full dinners, usually just the main event or specialty sides. It comes down to that I usually focus on the main dish, and roasted potatoes covered in BBQ spice is perfect.
So this weekend I wanted to spice up the spuds with another recipe I found on Twitter.
They came out fantastic, having them skewered was a great idea and made them easy to manage over the grill.
Now, here in New Zealand it’s the middle of a very cold winter. It’s dark at 4pm and that really kills any type of prolonged BBQ time. It also means that my camera struggled to keep up with the night time photography, sorry about that. Maybe once the blog is earning a few more dollars it may be able to fund me a new camera. One day.
So there I was in the middle of winter in the freezing cold and dark, a full chimney of briquettes ready for a quick grill.
The steaks and potatoes came out great in the end. I will try hard to get some tenderloins as now all I can think about are tenderloin sliders.
Pork Steaks with Skewered Potatoes
- 5 pork leg steaks (as many as you need to feed people)
- 1 kg washed white new potatoes (similar size helps)
- 4 stainless steel skewers (you could try bamboo if you don’t have stainless)
- !BBQ Sauce
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- ⅓ cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- Juice of half a lemon
- !Pork Marinade
- 1 cup bbq sauce
- 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- !Potato Marinade
- 2 tablespoons wholegrain mustard
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon mild paprika
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- Juice of 1 lemon
- !BBQ Sauce
- Combine all ingredients in a pan and bring to the boil over a stove top. Set aside and keep remaining BBQ sauce for another time.
- Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and simmer for 5-10 mintues before allowing to cool.
- !Pork Steaks
- Combine all ingredients for marinade together in a bowl.
- Add pork steaks to a sealable bag and pour over marinade. Refridgerate overnight, or at least 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Bring a pot of water to the boil.
- Give the potatoes a wash and add to steamer and steam for 25 minutes until tender.
- While potatoes are steaming prepare the marinade by combining all ingredients in a bowl in order listed.
- Once potatoes steamed cover remove from heat and allow to dry.
- Coat potatoes a few at a time in marinade and skewer, about 6 per skewer.
- !Time to Grill
- Prepare grill for medium-high direct heat, a full chimney load.
- Begin with the pork steaks, brush with remaining marinade and grill over direct heat for around 2.5 minutes, brush topside before flipping and grilling for a further 2.5 minutes, an instant read thermometer should read 65°C / 150°F.
- Remove from heat and rest on a plate covered with tin foil.
- While pork steaks are resting, grill the potatoes. As potatoes are alreayd cooked grill for 5 minutes before flipping and grill a further 5 minutes. This should crisp up the skin and marinade.
- Remove potatoes from skewer and serve along side pork steaks. Enjoy.