A couple weeks ago Sarah was up in Auckland leaving me home alone for the weekend. The sun was out for a rare sunny weekend this spring so I took advantage on my Weber Go Anywhere grill. Steak and beer one night and these Thai Chicken Skewers the next. When I sent Sarah a photo of the skewers on the grill on the outside table, she was mad that I had cooked these without her. Whoops.
Grilling the Thai Chicken Skewers on the portable Weber reminded me of our trip to Tokyo eating Yakitori. Close but not quite. I’ll get to my own Yakitori one day. Try preparing the peanut sauce just before you grill the skewers as it is fantastic served slightly hot. It will refrigerate but I found it was a tad rubbish the next day. Some friends who I shared some cell phone photos with insist that next time I should use chopped peanuts instead of peanut butter. Might go down a bit better – we’ll see. Give this one a go and let me know what you think.
Thai Chicken Skewers with Peanut Sauce
- Chicken thighs, cubed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- peanut oil
- 3 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 lemongrass stalk
- zest and juice of a lime / lemon
- !Peanut Sauce
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 2-3 tbsp crunchy peanut butter
- 1 can coconut milk
- Bamboo skewers, soaked in water
- Spring onion, cut to equal lengths of the chicken
- !Chicken Marinade
- Combine ingredients in large mixing bowl and coat chicken. Cover and refrigerate for a couple of hours.
- !Peanut Sauce
- Heat oil in fry pan and cook onion with garlic and chilli flakes for around 5 minutes until onion is soft
- Add sugar and stir until caramalised and then stir in soy sauce and peanut butter.
- Finally, pour in coconut milk a bit at a time until reaching desired consistency.
- !Grill Time
- Fire up the grill for medium direct heat. While grill is heating up prepare the skewers.
- Thread each skewer with chicken and spring onion alternated.
- Grill skewers over direct heat for around 2 minutes per side for a total of 8 minutes or until chicken is cooked.
- Removed from sauce and serve with peanut sauce.